You may have seen these on products, posters, TV adds and junk mail.

These little beauties were invented for you to “scan” the code and it directly takes you to a website, picture, PDF, any sort of file really.

BUT did you know you can create your own, for free?

There are different ways to create QR codes:
Online at websites such as QR Stuff, or an app such as QR Code Maker, there are many other options to choose from and all are fantastic.

The first thing you need to decide is what content you want to link to. Would you like to link to simple text, a video, a web page, dropbox, or even a skype call? There are many more different things to link to, depending on the particular app or web page you are using.
I used these at first to encourage reading, by writing little jokes for the children to scan and read.

All I had to do was enter the text I wanted, which in this case was “What vegetables do librarians like?”, then press ‘create’. The code was generated  and as I was on my iPad I saved it to my camera roll.

Then, I prined the code (or you could text it, email it, maybe put it on a website) then scan it!
The children can use iPads, iPods, android devices, or even a QR code/barcode scanner.

Give it a go right now on the code below to find the answer to the joke:

Some Ideas For Primary Use:
These are ideal for:
Treasure hunts, for example having a set of QR codes numbered and scattered around the room that can have anything from jokes to steps in a numeracy activity,
Encouraging reading, for example directing the children to short stories, pages from books and online reading activities.
In a money unit, QR codes could be stuck to empty food packets for the children to scan as if they were at a supermarket checkout.
They could also be used for providing links to sources for the children to use, I have put them at the bottom of pictures such as space, animals, sporting events, with the code directing them to kid-friendly websites.

Some Ideas For Secondary Use:
Excursions (I’m assuming most of the students will have their own phones and can partner up if not – this will require permission notes or failing that the use of another scanning device), where the students can be provided with a list of incremental codes, or codes could be scattered around the excursion location, directing them where to go, what to look at and what notes to record.
For explanations, when you have set them homework or an assessment task, tuck a code next to each question or in each criteria section. You could then link them straight to a file related to the criteria/question or a photo of the information in their text book.
Anxiety assistance, for example if you happen to have students who are overwhelmed by a list of questions, provide them instead with a list of codes to scan the questions as they go and prevent anxiety.

QR Codes
Tagged on: