Assessment and Planning Tools

When searching for a topic for this post, I spoke to pre-service teachers and their biggest concerns were assessment and unit planning tools; below are resources I wish I had known about in my graduate years.

Assessment:

Socrative is a program that can run on any device with internet access, with programs for students and teachers separately. It’s great for setting tasks, collecting evidence and evaluating your teaching practice.
This app would be good for mid to upper primary, to year 12.

If you are a Google Docs fan and like setting quizzes that deliver results for you, why not try setting up online quizzes on Google Docs? As Richard Byrne explains on his brilliant blog, Free Technology for Teachers, this can actually be a simple and useful process. I personally do not use Google Docs, for the same reasons I do not use Dropbox.
This program would be good for mid primary to year 12.

PE teachers are in luck, Mr Robbo has designed an app called Easy Assessment which links up nicely to Dropbox. It can possibly be used for subjects other than PE, that require formative assessment.
Personally, I have my issues with the security and privacy of dropbox, but it would be a very handy tool.
His other app, Easy Portfolio is also a brilliant little tool for teachers and students to create their own ePortfolios.
Both of these apps are available on android, and Mr Robbo’s blog is definitely worth a look for some inspiration.
This app would be good from prep to year 12.

Wallwisher is great for recording class discussions and reflections, but can also be used as a means for students to present their work and peer assess.
Wallwisher would work from P-12.

Vizaroo, like the related apps featured on the website, is a great tool for collecting feedback, which could be tweaked to allow you to assess student understanding.
It would work best from mid primary through to year 12.

Planning:

The Toowoomba Curriculum Exchange details the differences between planning for thematic approaches and integrated approaches to teaching and learning, their sample planners are worth a look.

The Curriculum Framework for ACT Schools provides a good starting point for planning units, the prompting questions, example units and planning templates provide solid beginnings for any unit you may be planning.

The Department of Education and Early Childhood Development provide resources to support eLearning, however their planning examples are pitched for whole school use, not individual teachers.

Rubi Star is a website that generates rubrics according to your particular task. Be careful about the actual content of the rubric as it can be pitched at a level above/below what you may need. It is easy to copy and paste the tables, then tweak the content. I used this when working with students on negotiated tasks, choosing a criteria and working with the students to set their expected outcomes.

Assessment and Planning Tools