Delivering meaningful and timely feedback is an element of teaching I have always been looking to enhance. I give students time to reflect on their feedback and set goals from what they discover, but often I feel many of them regard this as after-the-fact, and some struggle to recall their writing process between the time of writing and feedback being issued.

I have long found issue with collecting student’s books to correct and write feedback on pieces of work. The students may need their books while you have them, 26+ books are awkward to carry around and have the potential to be damaged or lost. Furthermore, it cannot be the most efficient way of assessing work and delivering feedback.

I have been trialing collecting student work by taking photos of their work with my iPad, or taking screen captures if their work is submitted electronically. I can then assess their work and issue feedback without depriving them of their actual books. Now, I am considering ways in which to streamline the process, using my iPad.

Evernote and Skitch:

By collecting their work photos into their Evernote folders, a portfolio of sorts could be built. The photos can be annotated using Skitch and any further feedback could be typed, or recorded using audio recording capabilities. This depends on how you wish to deliver the feedback to your students, if you are printing it or delivering it electronically.

As for distribution of feedback, I am hesitant to use this approach and offer students/parents access to their folders or notes to receive their feedback. This method would allow students an opportunity to reply to feedback and ask questions immediately and directly. However, to use something so unique could place pressure on others to use the same approach, or something like it. This is how technology can become a negative for colleagues.

Warning: If you are using an android device, like the Toshiba tablet I recently acquired, do not even bother with evernote. The app on these devices does not have these capabilities. The app itself is not user friendly and frustrating to use. This option only works for me on iPad.

For further information about Evernote, please refer to my previous Evernote post.

ShowMe:

By opening photos or screen captures in ShowMe, annotating them with notes and audio recordings, and emailing them to students, feedback can be delivered as soon as you have finished recording it. This also allows students an opportunity for reply and a means by which they can see the development of their work and learning. Again this approach is not for everyone, particularly those who are not comfortable with technology.

For more information about ShowMe, please refer to my brief run-down.

Stoodle:

In a perfect world, we could conference with our students are we correct their work. Stoodle would be a perfect tool in this case. Alternately, a Stoodle session can be recorded and used later, much like ShowMe.

For further information about Stoodle, scroll down to my previous post!

Timely, Meaningful Feedback: Evernote, Skitch, ShowMe & Stoodle
Tagged on: